These anxious and unusual times bring unforeseen difficulties. But the best of human nature can rise to the challenge.
WHEN TO USE A MASK
- If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with the suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
- Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing and make sure that it will cover your nose and mouth.
- Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.
WHEN AND HOW TO WEAR MEDICAL MASKS TO PROTECT AGAINST CORONAVIRUS
- Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
- Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do, wash your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks.
- To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask); discard immediately in a closed bin; clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
WHAT TYPES OF MASKS CAN BE USED TO PREVENT COVID19?
Here are the types of masks that can be used to prevent the spread of COVID-19
- Medical masks (also known as surgical masks): these are made from a minimum of three layers of synthetic nonwoven materials, and configured to have filtration layers sandwiched in the middle.
- Respirators (also known as filtering facepiece respirators – FFP) and available at different performance levels such as FFP2, FFP3, N95 respirators, n95 masks, N99): these are specifically designed for healthcare workers who provide care to COVID-19 patients in settings and areas where aerosol generating procedures are undertaken.
- Non-medical masks (also known as fabric masks, cloth masks, home-made masks, DIY masks) can act as a barrier to prevent the spread of the virus from the wearer to others.
To learn more about COVID19, you can visit the World Health Organization website.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO WEAR MASKS IN PUBLIC?
Wearing masks in public will help slow the spread of infectious diseases which now includes COVID-19. Aside from social distancing or physical distancing wearing masks will reduce the spread of covid-19, the masks will serve as a shield from respiratory droplets that came from people who have covid-19.