27 Mar Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): When and how to use masks
These anxious and unusual times bring unforeseen difficulties. But the best of human nature can rise to the challenge.
- Read more about Coronavirus (Covid 19)
- Protect yourself: advice for the public
- All you need to know about symptoms and risks.
- How to stay positive during the coronavirus crisis
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Checklist to Get Ready
When to use a mask
- If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with the suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
- Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
- Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.
When and how to wear medical masks to protect against coronavirus
- Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
- Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks.
- To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask); discard immediately in a closed bin; clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
–Written and compiled by WHO