Sure, there is tweezing and threading, but waxing is one of the most common – and effective – brow grooming methods. The reasons why people prefer it? Waxing is effective, cost-efficient, and accurate. The shape you get with eyebrow waxing is flawless and all tiny hairs are removed perfectly in one go with either hard body waxes or soft waxes, it’s up to your wax expert!
If you are new to eyebrow waxing or you’re about to have your eyebrow waxing appointment, you’re lucky you found this article! We’ll walk you through the important things to do – and not do – after eyebrow waxing.
What to Expect During the Eyebrow Wax Appointment: Basic Eyebrow Waxing
Any waxing implies a bit of skin irritation. There will be a bit of pain or discomfort when the hair is getting ripped and also a bit of redness after the waxing. Apart from that, the whole eyebrow shaping and waxing service should last around 20 minutes. It is easy and it goes smoothly. Just make sure the esthetician uses all the tools, no double-dipping, and pre-wax, and post-wax products.
Just in case you’re new to eyebrow waxing, here’s the basic process:
- Cleaning: your esthetician will use an antiseptic pre-depilatory lotion to remove any makeup, dirt, and oil from the brow area.
- Shaping: This is a crucial step where your brow artist will do the correct brow measurements to perfect your shape or completely re-shape your brow according to your facial features. Look at the handy guide to eyebrow measurements and the best eyebrow shape according to face shape in our related post: “What Is the Perfect Eyebrow Shape to Enhance Your Face?”
- Waxing: this is where the hair actually gets removed. The best technique is applying wax the wax at the bottom and on top of the brow in the direction of hair growth in two sections (first the body and then the tail for the brow) and then removing it in the opposite direction. The space between the brows also gets cleaned with the wax, and excess wax bits are touched up with the wax strip. Many estheticians are now using hard body waxes for eyebrow waxing since they are comfortable to use and help achieve a very accurate shape. Once the waxing is done, the brow area gets cleaned once more with a post-depilatory lotion.
- Perfecting: if any stray hairs haven’t been removed with the wax, some have broken, or are way out of the wax application area, they will be tweezed out. Another important step in perfecting the brow is trimming the hairs which are too long. For this, the esthetician will brush the brow in the angle of hair growth and trim any length that goes out of the shape.
- Tinting (optional): some wax bars offer this option. Tinting is done with pigments that have short to medium duration, from a week to a month approximately. A soft tint gives the brow more definition and fills in any bald spot